Imminent arrival of bailiff. Help please!
Bobby Fischler
2004-11-05 22:13:40 UTC
Hope someone can give me some advice on behalf of my son.
Basically, his council tax hasn't been paid due to a mix up with his
Job-Seekers Allowance. Meanwhile he has adopted the ostrich position and
done nothing about it.
It's now got to the point where a letter from the bailiffs for the
magistrates' court have stuck a letter to the entry door saying that
they'll be coming to collect goods within the next 48 hours.
I am quite willing to pay the amount he owes (£250.00) but I'm not sure
whether to get it in cash for the bailiff's visit and hope it can be
settled there or try and get to the council offices tomorrow to head
them off.
The letter is dated today and marked FINAL NOTICE in red.
It also says "...Unless full settlement is received one day before the
prescribed date of the execution of the liability order"
Do I still have one day to pay it for him, or is the Liability Order
something that he's already received and ignored?
Will they take a check or should I get cash?
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Have your son tell the authorities that he has converted to Islam and
is a follower of Hamza. He will probably get a 500,000 pound free
house, a large dole check, free golf lessons, a free holiday, a free
3-series BMW and other perks.
the idiot
or just go to the council and pay the bill.
Adrian Bailey
2004-11-06 00:31:01 UTC
Post by the idiot
Post by Bobby Fischler
[...]
Yup. Pay the council.

Stephen Glynn
2004-11-06 11:15:09 UTC
Post by the idiot
Post by Bobby Fischler
[...]
If the son's receiving JSA (or similar) he should be able to ask the
Council to have the Benefits Agency repay the debt for him by making
deductions (which are limited to only a few pounds a week) direct from
his JSA. The Council don't, I think, have any choice but to accept the
deal.

He should contact the Council first thing on Monday morning.

Steve
Bystander
2004-11-06 11:22:37 UTC
Post by Stephen Glynn
He should contact the Council first thing on Monday morning.
Whatever the debt, bailiffs must be avoided, as their fees rapidly escalate
the original. Do a deal with the creditor, but avoid the hundreds of pounds
that bailiffs can add for their own charges - which are the first to be
taken when you pay. If they attend to distrain goods they usually charge for
van rental, and many of them rent from an associated firm. In the case of a
magistrates fine, if you can persuade the bailiffs that there is nothing
worth seizing they will return the warrant to the court. You will still owe
the debt, but at least that is all that you owe. You can then do a deal with
the court.
john browne
2004-11-06 12:23:38 UTC
Post by Stephen Glynn
He should contact the Council first thing on Monday morning.
Tell the Bailiffs you will pay the outstanding bill at fifty pence per week.
They will have to accept the offer!
Bystander
2004-11-06 14:35:08 UTC
Post by john browne
Post by Stephen Glynn
He should contact the Council first thing on Monday morning.
Tell the Bailiffs you will pay the outstanding bill at fifty pence per week.
They will have to accept the offer!
No they will not. Even courts and bailiffs know a pi** taker when they see
one.
Mike
Indeed. A glance in a mirror will give them enough practise.
Stephen Glynn
2004-11-06 16:49:41 UTC
Post by Bystander
Post by john browne
Post by Stephen Glynn
He should contact the Council first thing on Monday morning.
Tell the Bailiffs you will pay the outstanding bill at fifty pence per week.
They will have to accept the offer!
No they will not. Even courts and bailiffs know a pi** taker when they see
one.
Indeed, but the debtor in this case is apparently on JSA, and thus a
very low income. I'm almost sure that under those circumstances the
Council have no option but to accept payment of the outstanding Council
Tax in instalments in the form of deductions from his JSA and these
deductions are limited by law to some very small amount -- in the
region of three or four pounds a week. A friend of mine found himself
in very similar circumstances not so long ago and that's certainly the
arrangement he came to with his local council.

That's why I suggested the OP's son should contact the council and his
Jobcentre asap.

Steve
john browne
2004-11-06 19:24:42 UTC
Post by Bystander
Post by john browne
Post by Stephen Glynn
He should contact the Council first thing on Monday morning.
Tell the Bailiffs you will pay the outstanding bill at fifty pence per week.
They will have to accept the offer!
No they will not. Even courts and bailiffs know a pi** taker when they see
one.
The amount of the offer matters not, it is the commitment to regularly pay
the stated amount without fail that counts.
Yes the Court will object to the amount on offer, but if you earnestly
commit to making the payments there is "Fuck all" they can do about it.
I believe there is qute a large amount of "case law" on this very subject.
DC
2004-12-02 16:37:24 UTC
No they wil just take the goods to the value.
Ian Bailey
2004-11-06 07:42:02 UTC
Post by Bobby Fischler
Have your son tell the authorities that he has converted to Islam and
is a follower of Hamza. He will probably get a 500,000 pound free
house, a large dole check, free golf lessons, a free holiday, a free
3-series BMW and other perks.
Is this the real Fischler or the spoof one? I can't tell the difference any more.

Ian
adrian
2004-11-08 18:41:20 UTC
Bailiff's can't enter a property by force they have to be invited in.
Simple don't invite them in.
the idiot
2004-11-08 23:33:32 UTC
and definately dont open any door or window.
Paul Hyett
2004-11-09 09:06:55 UTC
Post by adrian
Bailiff's can't enter a property by force they have to be invited in.
Most people would rather invite a vampire in! :)
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
DC
2004-12-02 16:36:44 UTC
Dont talk silly... They have a warrant foot in the door bit.
MT
2004-12-02 17:05:05 UTC
Post by DC
Post by adrian
Bailiff's can't enter a property by force they have to be invited in.
Simple don't invite them in.
Dont talk silly... They have a warrant foot in the door bit.
No they can't, even with a "warrant". I can cite case law to that effect
to. Once denied access and asked to leave. If they dont go, you can used
whatever thats deemed reasonable at the time, even breaking a whisky
bottle over their head to remove them from your property.
Fat Sam
2004-12-02 19:41:58 UTC
Post by DC
Post by adrian
Bailiff's can't enter a property by force they have to be invited in.
Simple don't invite them in.
Dont talk silly... They have a warrant foot in the door bit.
They would pretty quickly re-assess that course of action when a 25 stone
man like myself decides to throw his shoulder against the other side of the
door.....

"Sorry mate, I tripped over the dog when I was coming to let you in....You
stay there in the garden, and I'll ring you an ambulance"......
Ancient One
2004-12-02 21:03:05 UTC
Post by DC
Post by adrian
Bailiff's can't enter a property by force they have to be invited in.
Simple don't invite them in.
Dont talk silly... They have a warrant foot in the door bit.
What gets me is that he knows they are coming and hasn't removed the value
stuff from the premises...:(

They cannot remove items not owned by the debtor
They cannot remove life essentials
They cannot remove tools of the trade

And despite BBC's crap suck-up-to-bailliffs-and-scare-the-sheep documentary,
they are not allowed to knock on your door in the dawn or dusk where light
is poor or it is dark, this is intimidation and a bailiff will lose their
operating licence if they do so.

So my advice would be to have a witnessed and signed bill of sale to someone
not connected for a sum agreed, turning over ownership of said goods to that
person but the debtor gets to continue using the goods until such time as
the new owner wishes to collect them.

Ensure the date is BEFORE the warrants as ownership afterwards may be
subject to the warrant in anycase.

If there ain't enough to satisfy the distress warrant then it is discharged
and back to court it goes.

Also remember once they are in then that is seen as present AND future
permission to enter your premises, once they have gotten in, then your
saleable goods are subject to court seizure and the police will stand there
whilst the bailiffs batter the door down to enforce everything and don't try
and hide stuff thats been listed as they nick you for that an' all.

One last thing, protest their charges and fees as there is no Bailiff I know
that doesn't take the piss on charges, complain to the magistrate, break
down the actual times, costs etc, get the CAB to do it if stuck.

AO
Graham Murray
2004-12-02 21:33:11 UTC
Post by Ancient One
And despite BBC's crap suck-up-to-bailliffs-and-scare-the-sheep documentary,
they are not allowed to knock on your door in the dawn or dusk where light
is poor or it is dark, this is intimidation and a bailiff will lose their
operating licence if they do so.
So this time of year, with many people leaving home for work while it
is still dark/dawn and not returning home until after dusk, I guess
that they must work a lot at weekends :-)
MT
2004-12-02 22:51:28 UTC
In article <***@home.gmurray.org.uk>, ***@gmurray.org.uk
says...
Post by Graham Murray
Post by Ancient One
And despite BBC's crap suck-up-to-bailliffs-and-scare-the-sheep documentary,
they are not allowed to knock on your door in the dawn or dusk where light
is poor or it is dark, this is intimidation and a bailiff will lose their
operating licence if they do so.
So this time of year, with many people leaving home for work while it
is still dark/dawn and not returning home until after dusk, I guess
that they must work a lot at weekends :-)
They can't do it on a sunday either!!