Who should decide to hold a referendum of the people?
INIREF*I&R ~ GB
2012-02-23 18:42:28 UTC
Despots and governments have oft used the plebiscite (decision by the
people or electorate, "referendum") to manipulate politics and trick
their rivals.

Who will decide how and when to hold a referendum about independence of
Scotland? Will that be the Scottish National Party, one or a few of its
leaders, the Scottish government or parliament, or perhaps our masters
the UK government? Why should not the *electorate* decide when to have a
referendum and also possess the right to put forward a clear, written
proposition? According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country"
both directly (on issues) or by electing MPs.

I&R ~ GB Citizens' Initiative and Referendum
Campaign for direct democracy in Britain
http://www.iniref.org/
HardySpicer
2012-02-23 18:51:18 UTC
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
Despots and governments have oft used the plebiscite (decision by the
people or electorate, "referendum") to manipulate politics and trick
their rivals.
Who will decide how and when to hold a referendum about independence of
Scotland? Will that be the Scottish National Party, one or a few of its
leaders, the Scottish government or parliament, or perhaps our masters
the UK government? Why should not the *electorate* decide when to have a
referendum and also possess the right to put forward a clear, written
proposition? According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country"
both directly (on issues) or by electing MPs.
I&R ~ GB Citizens' Initiative and Referendum
Campaign for direct democracy in Britainhttp://www.iniref.org/
The people are deciding. It was in the SNP manifesto before they got
elected.

Hardy
®i©ardo
2012-02-23 19:14:40 UTC
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
But if it applies to the structure of the United Kingdom ALL the people
involved should get a vote, not just the tail trying to wag the dog!
Moving things in still pictures
Just zis Guy, you know?
2012-02-23 21:00:08 UTC
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
Given the apparent flow of tax Northwards I suspect the public view
would be "good riddance, and take your shitty bank with you".

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
to be worth at least what you paid for them.
®i©ardo
2012-02-24 12:43:16 UTC
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
"Banks" rather than "bank"! Don't forget that the Bank of Scotland went
down the tubes as well, dragging Lloyds with it after they were forced
into a "merger" for "political" reasons. it was not politically
expedient for a Scottish Prime Minister and a Scottish Chancellor allow
two major financial institutions with their head offices in Edinburgh
and run by Scots to go bust at the same time.

"Here's one for Scotland" said Alex Salmond when giving his blessing to
the deal that f*cked the RBS.
Moving things in still pictures
soupdragon
2012-02-24 13:33:36 UTC
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
Really? And who forced them? Lloyds thought they were onto a killing and
got greedy, failing to apply 'due diligence'. So it was entirely their
own doing. Of course BoS was dragged down by Halifax, with the new HBOS
being essentially Halifax with a corporate hospitality centre in
Edinburgh posing as headquarters. All the operational systems,
business centre and management teams were Halifax's, as was most of the
mortgage debt.

I suspect RumpUK is in for a big shock if Scotland does go.. and takes
all that oil revenue that has bailed out so much in the UK with them. You
can, of course, keep the national debt as most of that was run up by SE
England and their penchant for status symbols and vanity projects.
de Graeme
2012-02-24 20:40:01 UTC
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
<snip>

I they kept the old BoS card centre in Dunfermline, but not much more.

Halifax got far too ambitious far too fast. They took over the old Leeds
Permanent Building Society then the BoS. I couldn't believe it when my BoS
current account sprouted a roll number, and all customer services functions
wewre transferred to Yorkshire.

It's difficult to conclude other than that Andy Hornby was a numpty.

dG
®i©ardo
2012-02-24 22:11:13 UTC
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
I think you'll find it was a forced marriage.

Post by soupdragon
being essentially Halifax with a corporate hospitality centre in
Edinburgh posing as headquarters. All the operational systems,
business centre and management teams were Halifax's, as was most of the
mortgage debt.
But it was all down to BoS feeling "left out" of things after the
stunning success by RBS on the takeover front.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-41073/Halifax-merger-talks-Bank-Scotland.html
Post by soupdragon
I suspect RumpUK is in for a big shock if Scotland does go.. and takes
all that oil revenue that has bailed out so much in the UK with them.
There's none left.

You
Post by soupdragon
can, of course, keep the national debt as most of that was run up by SE
England and their penchant for status symbols and vanity projects.
Like the Scottish Parliament building? That established a precedent in
wastefulness impossible to emulate.

Also, just be very, very thankful that SE England pays more than enough
tax to subsidise the rest of the country - and, no, I don't live there.
Moving things in still pictures
soupdragon
2012-02-25 09:53:33 UTC
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
I think you'll find you're wrong.
Post by soupdragon
being essentially Halifax with a corporate hospitality centre in
Edinburgh posing as headquarters. All the operational systems,
business centre and management teams were Halifax's, as was most of
the mortgage debt.
But it was all down to BoS feeling "left out" of things after the
stunning success by RBS on the takeover front.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-41073/Halifax-merger-talks-Bank
-Scotland.html
You seem to be confusing pre and post takeover outcomes.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
I suspect RumpUK is in for a big shock if Scotland does go.. and
takes all that oil revenue that has bailed out so much in the UK with
them.
There's none left.
There's more than enough left for a country of 5m to be very comfortable
for a long time to come.
Post by ®i©ardo
You
Post by soupdragon
can, of course, keep the national debt as most of that was run up by
SE England and their penchant for status symbols and vanity projects.
Like the Scottish Parliament building? That established a precedent in
wastefulness impossible to emulate.
On the contrary. the SP provided some utility for the money, at one
third the cost of the Millenium Dome to the tax payer to build and
remains a capital asset. What's the utility of the London Olympics
again?
Post by ®i©ardo
Also, just be very, very thankful that SE England pays more than
enough tax to subsidise the rest of the country - and, no, I don't
live there.
Really? So you believe the Tesco-generates-all-its-tax-revenue-at-head-
office myth too? I think you'll find most tax revenue is generated around
the country. Where the head office is, where the tax returns are
declared, is irrelevant.
®i©ardo
2012-02-25 11:28:34 UTC
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
Political pressure was involved. After all, it was a rescue plan for a
failed Scottish vanity project, albeit from a commercial entity but
affecting Scotland's credibility relative to financial security and
ability. After all, look at the total decline in Scottish financial
institutions over the last thirty years. Gone are the days when The
Standard Life and the Scottish Widows' Fund are names spoken with reverence.
Post by soupdragon
being essentially Halifax with a corporate hospitality centre in
Edinburgh posing as headquarters. All the operational systems,
business centre and management teams were Halifax's, as was most of
the mortgage debt.
But it was all down to BoS feeling "left out" of things after the
stunning success by RBS on the takeover front.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-41073/Halifax-merger-talks-Bank
-Scotland.html
You seem to be confusing pre and post takeover outcomes.
Or the Daily Mail is.
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
I suspect RumpUK is in for a big shock if Scotland does go.. and
takes all that oil revenue that has bailed out so much in the UK with
them.
There's none left.
There's more than enough left for a country of 5m to be very comfortable
for a long time to come.
But think of the development, servicing and maintenance costs, all of
which you've been shielded from. Also consider some FACTS on the matter:

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Politics/article/21183/glasgow-academics-question-salmond-s-oil-fund-claims.html

Perhaps a Scottish tax on alcoholic beverages and spirits could provide
an alternative source of funding:

http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-news/news/2012/02/23/glasgow-health-expert-in-stark-warning-to-scotland-over-booze-culture-102692-23762357/

Plus, of course, pompous political posturing doesn't help matters:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/feb/24/scotland-company-referendum-damaging-confidence?newsfeed=true
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
You
Post by soupdragon
can, of course, keep the national debt as most of that was run up by
SE England and their penchant for status symbols and vanity projects.
Like the Scottish Parliament building? That established a precedent in
wastefulness impossible to emulate.
On the contrary. the SP provided some utility for the money, at one
third the cost of the Millenium Dome to the tax payer to build and
remains a capital asset. What's the utility of the London Olympics
again?
I neither know nor care. I was totally against the Millennium Dome
Project's major upgrade and against the Olympic bid even before we'd
"won" it on, the basis that both were a total waste of money that we
didn't have in the first place.

The original Millennium Dome project was greatly expanded by Blair and
Co with the words of "Tony" himself echoing the the nation's ears: ""a
triumph of confidence over cynicism, boldness over blandness, excellence
over mediocrity". In the words of BBC correspondent Robert Orchard, "the
Dome was to be highlighted as a glittering New Labour achievement in the
next election manifesto"."

As for the Olympics it remains to be seen whether any social or
commercial benefit will ultimately accrue to the citizens of the the UK,
but it seems highly unlikely. The whole thing seems to be run by a money
extorting Mafia who, with incredible arrogance, seem to command far too
much power.

However, with a Scottish born Prime Minister and a Scottish born
Chancellor running the UK at the time, what chance did we English have
of getting a say in the matter when it came to these ultimate vanity
projects?
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Also, just be very, very thankful that SE England pays more than
enough tax to subsidise the rest of the country - and, no, I don't
live there.
Really? So you believe the Tesco-generates-all-its-tax-revenue-at-head-
office myth too? I think you'll find most tax revenue is generated around
the country. Where the head office is, where the tax returns are
declared, is irrelevant.
...although the concentration of the highest earning *people* and
businesses is of incredible significance. Don't forget that for every
bankers £1,000,000 bonus the State creams off £500,000.
Moving things in still pictures
soupdragon
2012-02-25 13:55:23 UTC
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
No it wasn't. It was a purely commercial decision by Lloyds who thought
they were picking up a bargain and failed to look at the books. There
was no political pressure on them to do anything. They got greedy,
thought they were getting a bargain and, instead, picked up a pig-in-a-
poke that Halifax had turned the group into.
Post by ®i©ardo
After all, it was a rescue plan for a
failed Scottish vanity project,
What 'rescue plan'. BoS were doing exactly the same as everyone else
in banking who saw mergers and increased corporate size as part of
the way forward
Post by ®i©ardo
albeit from a commercial entity but
affecting Scotland's credibility relative to financial security and
ability. After all, look at the total decline in Scottish financial
institutions over the last thirty years. Gone are the days when The
Standard Life and the Scottish Widows' Fund are names spoken with reverence.
Few financial institutions are spoken with reverence these days, not just
the Scottish names. The banking collapse was a global phenomenon.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
I suspect RumpUK is in for a big shock if Scotland does go.. and
takes all that oil revenue that has bailed out so much in the UK
with them.
There's none left.
There's more than enough left for a country of 5m to be very
comfortable for a long time to come.
But think of the development, servicing and maintenance costs, all of
What on earth are you on about? All that is paid for by the commercial
companies, not the taxpayer.
Post by ®i©ardo
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Politics/article/21183/glasgow-academi
cs-question-salmond-s-oil-fund-claims.html
There have been similar 'reports' from ivory towers for years. So what?
Post by ®i©ardo
Perhaps a Scottish tax on alcoholic beverages and spirits could
http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-news/news/2012/02/23/glasgow-hea
lth-expert-in-stark-warning-to-scotland-over-booze-culture-102692-23762
357/
Scotland's drink problem is certainly a problem, but being addressed by
minimum pricing. I note England is considering following this policy
following it's own problems with the alarming rate of drink related
issues down south.
Post by ®i©ardo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/feb/24/scotland-company-referen
dum-damaging-confidence?newsfeed=true
Scarmongering nonsense that's been disproven by companies like Amazon
investing heavily in Scotland despite their awareness of the possibility
of independance. This is old news anyway. The Guardian must be running
short of news if its recycling stuff that first appeared 6 months ago.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
You
Post by soupdragon
can, of course, keep the national debt as most of that was run up
by SE England and their penchant for status symbols and vanity
projects.
Like the Scottish Parliament building? That established a precedent
in wastefulness impossible to emulate.
On the contrary. the SP provided some utility for the money, at one
third the cost of the Millenium Dome to the tax payer to build and
remains a capital asset. What's the utility of the London Olympics
again?
I neither know nor care.
So we both agree - a wasteful vanity project.
Post by ®i©ardo
The original Millennium Dome project was greatly expanded by Blair and
Co with the words of "Tony" himself echoing the the nation's ears: ""a
triumph of confidence over cynicism, boldness over blandness,
excellence over mediocrity". In the words of BBC correspondent Robert
Orchard, "the Dome was to be highlighted as a glittering New Labour
achievement in the next election manifesto"."
The Dome was the idea of the previous Tory admisnistration under John
Major. You skipped that bit in your cut and paste in your cut and
paste from Wiki. Also, you'll note that this is an opinion and wiki
have noted 'citation needed'. In fact, many of the contracts were already
in place when Blair came to power and they had no option but to run with
it.

But again, we agree, a wasteful vanity project. Both of these examples
make the SP project seem like very small beer indeed. And it will serve
an independant Scotland, so no need for a new building.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Also, just be very, very thankful that SE England pays more than
enough tax to subsidise the rest of the country - and, no, I don't
live there.
Really? So you believe the
Tesco-generates-all-its-tax-revenue-at-head- office myth too? I think
you'll find most tax revenue is generated around the country. Where
the head office is, where the tax returns are declared, is
irrelevant.
...although the concentration of the highest earning *people* and
businesses is of incredible significance. Don't forget that for every
bankers £1,000,000 bonus the State creams off £500,000.
So what? How many bankers are on a £1m bonus in the SE? A million? A
thousand? Ten? The simple fact is that the amount of money the SE
'generates' is largely made up large companies having their HQ based in
London where they pay their tax bill, rather than where it is actually
made. With the collapse of the banks maybe we should assign all those
losses to the SE, after all, they were quite happy to claim the dosh
when the banks and financial institutions were making massive profits.
®i©ardo
2012-02-26 17:22:14 UTC
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by ®i©ardo
albeit from a commercial entity but
affecting Scotland's credibility relative to financial security and
ability. After all, look at the total decline in Scottish financial
institutions over the last thirty years. Gone are the days when The
Standard Life and the Scottish Widows' Fund are names spoken with reverence.
Few financial institutions are spoken with reverence these days, not just
the Scottish names. The banking collapse was a global phenomenon.
However, that of the RBS was internally administrated commercial suicide
overseen by Government regulatory bodies and blessed by Alex Salmond!
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
I suspect RumpUK is in for a big shock if Scotland does go.. and
takes all that oil revenue that has bailed out so much in the UK
with them.
There's none left.
There's more than enough left for a country of 5m to be very
comfortable for a long time to come.
But think of the development, servicing and maintenance costs, all of
What on earth are you on about? All that is paid for by the commercial
companies, not the taxpayer.
And that's where the profit goes in the first instance.
Post by ®i©ardo
Perhaps a Scottish tax on alcoholic beverages and spirits could
http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-news/news/2012/02/23/glasgow-hea
lth-expert-in-stark-warning-to-scotland-over-booze-culture-102692-23762
357/
Scotland's drink problem is certainly a problem, but being addressed by
minimum pricing. I note England is considering following this policy
following it's own problems with the alarming rate of drink related
issues down south.
But despite England having ten times Scotland's population we haven't
yet reached Scotland's levels of alcohol dependence/abuse.
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/feb/24/scotland-company-referen
dum-damaging-confidence?newsfeed=true
Scarmongering nonsense that's been disproven by companies like Amazon
investing heavily in Scotland despite their awareness of the possibility
of independance. This is old news anyway. The Guardian must be running
short of news if its recycling stuff that first appeared 6 months ago.
But Amazon are a very different kettle of fish. The comments in The
Guardian are, of course, still relevant as no-one is able to address the
concerns of SSE. If you feel that sticking its head in the sand is a
good way for Scotland to sort things out, then go for it.
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
You
Post by ®i©ardo
The original Millennium Dome project was greatly expanded by Blair and
Co with the words of "Tony" himself echoing the the nation's ears: ""a
triumph of confidence over cynicism, boldness over blandness,
excellence over mediocrity". In the words of BBC correspondent Robert
Orchard, "the Dome was to be highlighted as a glittering New Labour
achievement in the next election manifesto"."
The Dome was the idea of the previous Tory admisnistration under John
Major. You skipped that bit in your cut and paste in your cut and
paste from Wiki. Also, you'll note that this is an opinion and wiki
have noted 'citation needed'. In fact, many of the contracts were already
in place when Blair came to power and they had no option but to run with
it.
Well, they did have some options, but did not necessarily choose the
right ones.

http://www.politics.co.uk/reference/millennium-dome
Post by soupdragon
But again, we agree, a wasteful vanity project. Both of these examples
make the SP project seem like very small beer indeed. And it will serve
an independant Scotland, so no need for a new building.
As it was three years late and at least ten times over budget one would
hope not.
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
[...]
But the domestic main bank failings were Scottish through and through.
If they have "Scotland" in their name, if they're run by Scots and if
they're run from Edinburgh we should be in no doubt about this. If it
looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

It's funny that now Scottish "banking expertise and business acumen" has
taken such a nasty knock that so many Scots are suddenly claiming that
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No 90312.
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, EH2
2YB) and The Bank of Scotland, Registered in Scotland No. SC327000,
Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ are suddenly "British"
rather than "Scottish" and the biggest corporate collapse in British
history is nothing to do with Scotland!
Moving things in still pictures
Magnus
2012-02-26 18:00:14 UTC
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
But again, we agree, a wasteful vanity project. Both of these
examples make the SP project seem like very small beer indeed. And it
will serve an independant Scotland, so no need for a new building.
As it was three years late and at least ten times over budget one
would hope not.
If you're going to troll, at least try to get facts right. The "10 times
over budget" canard is based on Dewar's original estimate for conversion of
the former Royal High School where the Scottish Grand Committee had met for
some years, not for a new building on a brown-field site. Yes, the Holyrood
building was over budget (and, in my view, a waste of money), but would you
like to discuss the Dome, Portcullis House, the Jubilee line &c.?

Thought not.
Malcolm
2012-02-27 07:36:49 UTC
Post by Magnus
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
But again, we agree, a wasteful vanity project. Both of these
examples make the SP project seem like very small beer indeed. And it
will serve an independant Scotland, so no need for a new building.
As it was three years late and at least ten times over budget one
would hope not.
If you're going to troll, at least try to get facts right. The "10 times
over budget" canard is based on Dewar's original estimate for conversion of
the former Royal High School where the Scottish Grand Committee had met for
some years, not for a new building on a brown-field site. Yes, the Holyrood
building was over budget (and, in my view, a waste of money), but would you
like to discuss the Dome, Portcullis House, the Jubilee line &c.?
Thought not.
No, you're wrong. The £40 million was for a new build at Victoria Quay,
Leith. This was the conclusion of Lord Fraser's 2004 Holyrood Inquiry.

See paragraph 2.24 "The Origins of the £40 million Figure" in:

www.scottish.parliament.uk/SPICeResources/HolyroodInquiry.pdf
Malcolm
Magnus
2012-02-28 06:58:40 UTC
Post by Malcolm
Post by Magnus
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
[...]
Thanks for the correction, Malcolm, and apologies to all. Dewar's
estimate seems to have been 10-30 million.
Malcolm
2012-02-28 16:10:33 UTC
Post by Magnus
Post by Malcolm
Post by Magnus
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
[...]
Including, as you stated, for building conversion rather than new build.
Malcolm
soupdragon
2012-02-28 16:26:06 UTC
Post by Malcolm
Post by Magnus
Post by Malcolm
Post by Magnus
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
[...]
However the Victoria Quay figure did not include the cost of aquiring
the land, as pointed in Fraser's report. What's also forgotten, but
again mentioned in the report is the additional costs of increased
security measures following 9/11.
Malcolm
2012-02-28 17:39:12 UTC
Post by Malcolm
Post by Malcolm
Post by Magnus
Post by Malcolm
Post by Magnus
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
[...]
All of whihch makes dwelling on any of the original figures completely
meaningless which was Magnus's original point!
Malcolm
soupdragon

soupdragon
2012-02-26 21:22:42 UTC
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by ®i©ardo
albeit from a commercial entity but
affecting Scotland's credibility relative to financial security and
ability. After all, look at the total decline in Scottish financial
institutions over the last thirty years. Gone are the days when The
Standard Life and the Scottish Widows' Fund are names spoken with reverence.
Few financial institutions are spoken with reverence these days, not
just the Scottish names. The banking collapse was a global
phenomenon.
However, that of the RBS was internally administrated commercial
suicide overseen by Government regulatory bodies and blessed by Alex
Salmond!
What 'Government regulatory bodies'? Those were booted out by Thatcher
who cut the banks loose in the 80s.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
I suspect RumpUK is in for a big shock if Scotland does go.. and
takes all that oil revenue that has bailed out so much in the UK
with them.
There's none left.
There's more than enough left for a country of 5m to be very
comfortable for a long time to come.
But think of the development, servicing and maintenance costs, all
of which you've been shielded from. Also consider some FACTS on the
What on earth are you on about? All that is paid for by the
commercial companies, not the taxpayer.
And that's where the profit goes in the first instance.
..and where all the licence revenue comes from.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by ®i©ardo
Perhaps a Scottish tax on alcoholic beverages and spirits could
http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-news/news/2012/02/23/glasgow-h
ea
lth-expert-in-stark-warning-to-scotland-over-booze-culture-102692-237
62 357/
Scotland's drink problem is certainly a problem, but being addressed
by minimum pricing. I note England is considering following this
policy following it's own problems with the alarming rate of drink
related issues down south.
But despite England having ten times Scotland's population we haven't
yet reached Scotland's levels of alcohol dependence/abuse.
You might want to check out the recent figures for England. They are not
far behind and catching. I note they are so overwhelmed by it in London,
their having to introduce a 'drunk tank'.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/feb/24/scotland-company-refer
en dum-damaging-confidence?newsfeed=true
Scarmongering nonsense that's been disproven by companies like Amazon
investing heavily in Scotland despite their awareness of the
possibility of independance. This is old news anyway. The Guardian
must be running short of news if its recycling stuff that first
appeared 6 months ago.
But Amazon are a very different kettle of fish. The comments in The
Guardian are, of course, still relevant as no-one is able to address
the concerns of SSE. If you feel that sticking its head in the sand is
a good way for Scotland to sort things out, then go for it.
What concerns? Amazon are just one of numerous companies that have set
up and see no problem.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
You
Post by ®i©ardo
[...]
Well one of the major 'poor choices' was when Michael Heseltine announced
it would no longer be funded by private sponsorship and the government
would fund it in 1997.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
But again, we agree, a wasteful vanity project. Both of these
examples make the SP project seem like very small beer indeed. And it
will serve an independant Scotland, so no need for a new building.
As it was three years late and at least ten times over budget one
would hope not.
Umm no. It was late but the original budget wwas £110M and the final
bill £410M. Compare and contrast with the Dome - original budget £135M,
final bill almost £4Bn.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
[...]
What's that got to do with the point above, aside from being demonstrably
wrong?
Post by ®i©ardo
If they have "Scotland" in their name, if they're run by Scots and if
they're run from Edinburgh we should be in no doubt about this. If it
looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...
Well that only leaves RBS. BoS was run (into the ground) by Halifax.
Lloyds, of course, ran themselves into the ground through greed, Northern
Rock, Bradford and Bingley and Abbey all through incompetance and
swallowed up by the Spanish. Barclays ran to the Arab world, rather than
take the government's cash. Gosh! Not many English banks left, are there?
Post by ®i©ardo
It's funny that now Scottish "banking expertise and business acumen"
has taken such a nasty knock that so many Scots are suddenly claiming
that The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No 90312.
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, EH2
2YB) and The Bank of Scotland, Registered in Scotland No. SC327000,
Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ are suddenly "British"
rather than "Scottish" and the biggest corporate collapse in British
history is nothing to do with Scotland!
Care to quote one of these 'so many'?. You seem to be running on empty
now and reduced to desperation in this failed troll attempt. I think
we're finished with you. Run along now.
®i©ardo
2012-02-28 17:35:02 UTC
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by Just zis Guy, you know?
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by ®i©ardo
After all, it was a rescue plan for a
failed Scottish vanity project,
What 'rescue plan'. BoS were doing exactly the same as everyone else
in banking who saw mergers and increased corporate size as part of
the way forward
http://www.money.co.uk/article/1001459-hbos-taken-over-by-lloyds-tsb.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/5340255/Lloyds-merger-with-HBOS-under-fire-as-Sir-Victor-Blank-departs.html

NB, in the latter link:

Opposition politicians have been listening to the criticism of the deal
which was secured on the intervention of Gordon Brown at the height of
the crisis in September.
Mr Cable said: "The competition rules were waived at a time of crisis.
If it now is the case that Lloyds is abusing this position then the
authorities must look at it again."
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
albeit from a commercial entity but
affecting Scotland's credibility relative to financial security and
ability. After all, look at the total decline in Scottish financial
institutions over the last thirty years. Gone are the days when The
Standard Life and the Scottish Widows' Fund are names spoken with reverence.
Few financial institutions are spoken with reverence these days, not
just the Scottish names. The banking collapse was a global
phenomenon.
However, that of the RBS was internally administrated commercial
suicide overseen by Government regulatory bodies and blessed by Alex
Salmond!
What 'Government regulatory bodies'? Those were booted out by Thatcher
who cut the banks loose in the 80s.
That must be one from the Boys' Own Bumper Joke Book. Margaret Thatcher
has been out of power for twenty odd years and the main regulatory
control of the banking world was the Bank of England at the time of her
departure. The fact of the matter is that bank regulation was totally
relaxed by one Gordon Brown, and no one else, with his "cunning plan" to
downgrade the Bank of England's regulatory rôle.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/6870803/how-the-banks-were-framed.thtml
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
I suspect RumpUK is in for a big shock if Scotland does go.. and
takes all that oil revenue that has bailed out so much in the UK
with them.
They'll be a bloody sight better off and at least they won't have Scots
meddling in their affairs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/9017866/Amid-the-talk-of-Scottish-independence-its-now-time-to-answer-the-English-Question.html
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
There's none left.
There's more than enough left for a country of 5m to be very
comfortable for a long time to come.
But think of the development, servicing and maintenance costs, all
of which you've been shielded from. Also consider some FACTS on the
What on earth are you on about? All that is paid for by the
commercial companies, not the taxpayer.
And that's where the profit goes in the first instance.
..and where all the licence revenue comes from.
Provided there's enough oil left to extract.
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by ®i©ardo
Perhaps a Scottish tax on alcoholic beverages and spirits could
http://www.theglaswegian.co.uk/glasgow-news/news/2012/02/23/glasgow-h
ea
lth-expert-in-stark-warning-to-scotland-over-booze-culture-102692-237
62 357/
Scotland's drink problem is certainly a problem, but being addressed
by minimum pricing. I note England is considering following this
policy following it's own problems with the alarming rate of drink
related issues down south.
But despite England having ten times Scotland's population we haven't
yet reached Scotland's levels of alcohol dependence/abuse.
You might want to check out the recent figures for England. They are not
far behind and catching. I note they are so overwhelmed by it in London,
their having to introduce a 'drunk tank'.
Ah, yes, of course, and London alone has a much larger population than
Scotland. As an ex-licensee I take little pleasure in saying that of the
many genuine alcoholics I have known, the majority of them were not
English, but from other parts of the UK and none of them were Welsh.
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/feb/24/scotland-company-refer
en dum-damaging-confidence?newsfeed=true
Scarmongering nonsense that's been disproven by companies like Amazon
investing heavily in Scotland despite their awareness of the
possibility of independance. This is old news anyway. The Guardian
must be running short of news if its recycling stuff that first
appeared 6 months ago.
But Amazon are a very different kettle of fish. The comments in The
Guardian are, of course, still relevant as no-one is able to address
the concerns of SSE. If you feel that sticking its head in the sand is
a good way for Scotland to sort things out, then go for it.
What concerns? Amazon are just one of numerous companies that have set
up and see no problem.
Well, the strength of their set-up is that they've done it in the UK.
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
You
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
But again, we agree, a wasteful vanity project. Both of these
examples make the SP project seem like very small beer indeed. And it
will serve an independant Scotland, so no need for a new building.
As it was three years late and at least ten times over budget one
would hope not.
Umm no. It was late but the original budget wwas £110M and the final
bill £410M.
Umm yes! You are making it up as you go along.

Compare and contrast with the Dome - original budget £135M,
Post by soupdragon
final bill almost £4Bn.
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
[...]
OK, let's say the record breaking bank failure was...
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
If they have "Scotland" in their name, if they're run by Scots and if
they're run from Edinburgh we should be in no doubt about this. If it
looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...
Well that only leaves RBS. BoS was run (into the ground) by Halifax.
But Halifax didn't really get to grips with BoS until September 2007.
Post by soupdragon
Lloyds, of course, ran themselves into the ground through greed, Northern
Rock, Bradford and Bingley and Abbey all through incompetance
...though primarily through Gordon Brown's total relaxation of
regulatory controls.
Post by soupdragon
swallowed up by the Spanish. Barclays ran to the Arab world, rather than
take the government's cash. Gosh! Not many English banks left, are there?
Barclays probably made a very sensible choice, looking at what's left of
the others.
Post by soupdragon
Post by ®i©ardo
It's funny that now Scottish "banking expertise and business acumen"
has taken such a nasty knock that so many Scots are suddenly claiming
that The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No 90312.
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, EH2
2YB) and The Bank of Scotland, Registered in Scotland No. SC327000,
Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ are suddenly "British"
rather than "Scottish" and the biggest corporate collapse in British
history is nothing to do with Scotland!
Care to quote one of these 'so many'?. You seem to be running on empty
now and reduced to desperation in this failed troll attempt. I think
we're finished with you. Run along now.
I have seen it quoted and said many times, I'm afraid.
Moving things in still pictures
Paul C
2012-02-27 10:03:34 UTC
You will have a link which backs up your nonsense, I presume.
INIREF*I&R ~ GB
2012-02-23 21:36:18 UTC
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
Maybe they (UK) SHOULD get a vote, a referendum, but they have no right
to demand one. The same applies in Scotland, Wales, England or NI.

The mandate for independence "given" to the SNP in the Holyrood election
is by no means clear or well defined.

With modern direct democracy, citizens' proposals can compete for
support: the best ones go forward to ballot.

http://www.iniref.org/
soupdragon
2012-02-24 00:45:05 UTC
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
The mandate for independence "given" to the SNP in the Holyrood
election is by no means clear or well defined.
Of course it is - it was their flagship policy, and the people
voted for it.
HardySpicer
2012-02-23 21:43:41 UTC
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
Scotland is the dog - England the tail. Scotland is leading the way
(as usual). Trouble with England is that in general they are
a very conservative (with a small c) county. They don't like too much
change and have sat on their backsides for far too long
relying on their traditions to carry them through. They are in effect
a bit backwards in political terms. Houses of Lords for example
belongs to a time long gone. Same for knights and Lords and
aristocracy.

Hardy

Hardy
Nkosi (ama-ecosse)
2012-02-24 12:28:19 UTC
Post by HardySpicer
Post by ®i©ardo
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
Hardy- Hide quoted text -
And their cricket team,,,,oops that is half South African exiles
INIREF*I&R ~ GB
2012-02-24 13:17:25 UTC
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
The SNP manifesto 2011 reads, "We think the people of Scotland should
decide our nation’s future in a democratic referendum and opinion polls
suggest that most Scots agree. We will, therefore, bring forward our
Referendum Bill in this next Parliament."

Many aspects of independence are mentioned either fleetingly (EU,
defence, pensions) or not at all (head of state i.e. monarchy or not,
devo-max and other variants).

The manifesto does not make clear that in the event of a yes vote for
independence then before independence could begin there would have to be
"negotiations" (or horse trading?) with the UK.

Our main point is that with stronger democracy the electorate would not
be so much pulled around by the nose by parties and governments but
could more effectively contribute to formulate and propose
constitutional and policy-directions.

In 2010 the SNP stated their support for this kind of democracy.

http://www.iniref.org/latest.html
soupdragon
2012-02-24 13:38:14 UTC
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
Post by HardySpicer
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
[...]
So that's pretty clear what the people were being asked to vote on.
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
Many aspects of independence are mentioned either fleetingly (EU,
defence, pensions) or not at all (head of state i.e. monarchy or not,
devo-max and other variants).
All of these are decisions that get taken later once there is an
agreement in principle. Many of these are decisions that will be
taken by the people.
Post by INIREF*I&R ~ GB
The manifesto does not make clear that in the event of a yes vote for
independence then before independence could begin there would have to
be "negotiations" (or horse trading?) with the UK.
All of that is part of the current debate up here. It's rarely off the
TV. You have been following it, I take it?